Technical Writer - San Francisco
Over 17 million people use Postman, not to mention 500,000 organizations around the world. We are growing rapidly and need tech writers who can help create a foundation of reference and learning material that will scale up with our extremely broad user base. Postman is used by everyone from experienced software engineers to people with no technical experience at all. If supporting this variety of learners sounds like the kind of challenge you’d like to tackle, apply to join us!
What You'll Do
- Own the docs for your dedicated feature set—you’ll be responsible for documenting a specific area of the Postman product and will drive all docs efforts around it
- Plan documentation in conjunction with product release cycles—you’ll work with engineers and product managers to learn about a feature from specifications, user research, and most importantly through your own hands-on experimentation with the product
- Carry out editorial reviews on your docs teammates’ drafts—you’ll be providing constructive feedback that helps your colleagues to grow, as well as receiving it
- Deliver high-quality, accurate documentation that acts as an effective learning resource, aligns with content strategy guidelines, and represents the Postman product to community and customers
- Liaise with stakeholders across the company to establish and address docs needs
- Write the occasional code sample to include within documentation
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree plus 3+ years of technical writing or related field experience
- Problem solver—you take a broad view of the role your docs work plays within the organization and are comfortable with shifting priorities
- User empathy—maybe you’ve been involved in tech support, in a community or customer facing role, you’ve helped people learn tech skills, or you’ve sought user feedback on docs in the past
- Strong communicator—you’ve written technical material before, whether official documentation or just your own tutorials on tech skills you wanted to share, and your communication skills carry over into the way you engage with teammates
- Self-directed learner—you can pick up tech skills with minimum support and have a curiosity about learning development workflows and practices
- Developer knowledge—ideally you’ve worked with APIs in some form, maybe you’ve worked as a developer, or you’ve written a little bit of code here and there, but whatever your skill level you’re happy to have a go at developer tasks where they support the documentation effort (for example the Postman test code reference)
- Distributed team member—you’re comfortable working within a diverse global team on multiple timezone
- Nice skills to have include experience with the Docs as Code/Docs like Code approach to documentation, writing Markdown-based content, working in an Agile environment, and using source control systems, especially Git.
We offer competitive salary and benefits, and a flexible schedule working with a fun, collaborative team. Enjoy full medical coverage, unlimited PTO, and a monthly lunch stipend. (Yes, seriously. We want you to eat well wherever you’re at.) Plus, our wellness program will help you stay healthy from your location with fitness-related reimbursements. Our frequent and fascinating virtual team-building events will keep you connected, while our donation-matching program can support the causes you care about. We’re building a long-term company with an inclusive culture where everyone can be the best version of themselves, and we want you to be part of it. Join us, why dontcha?