The 2023 State of the API survey is open!
Make your voice heard in the world's biggest API survey
Who Are We?
Postman is the world's leading collaboration platform for API development. Postman's features simplify each step of building an API & streamline collaboration to help create better APIs—faster. More than 23 million developers & 500,000 organizations worldwide use Postman today. After receiving Series D funding in 2021 & releasing our biggest & best version ever of Postman in September 2022, we continue to strive humbly towards our mission of 100 million connected developers & serving companies as they seek to innovate in an API-first world.
We highly recommend reading The "API-First World" graphic novel to understand the bigger picture & our vision at Postman.
About the Team
Would you like to write technical documentation that helps people use Postman to design, build, and test API projects? We are currently looking to expand our docs team with tech writers who can learn API skills and synthesize that understanding into resources that help our incredible community succeed with Postman. Check out the Learning Center and our GitHub to see the kind of content you’ll be working on.
We are growing rapidly and need tech writers who can help create a foundation of reference and learning material that will scale up with our extremely broad user base. Postman is used by everyone from experienced Software Engineers to people with no technical experience at all. If supporting this variety of learners sounds like the kind of challenge you’d like to tackle, apply to join us!
What You’ll Do
- Own the docs for your dedicated feature set—you’ll be responsible for documenting a specific area of the Postman product and will drive all docs efforts around it
- Plan documentation in conjunction with product release cycles—you’ll work with engineers and product managers to learn about a feature from specifications, user research, and most importantly through your own hands-on experimentation with the product
- Carry out editorial reviews on your docs teammates’ drafts—you’ll be providing constructive feedback that helps your colleagues to grow, as well as receiving it
- Deliver high-quality, accurate documentation that acts as an effective learning resource, aligns with content strategy guidelines, and represents the Postman product to community and customers
- Liaise with stakeholders across the company to establish and address docs needs
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree plus 3+ years of technical writing or related field experience
- Problem solver—you take a broad view of the role your docs work plays within the organization and are comfortable with shifting priorities
- User empathy—maybe you’ve been involved in tech support, in a community or customer facing role, you’ve helped people learn tech skills, or you’ve sought user feedback on docs in the past
- Strong communicator—you’ve written technical material before, whether official documentation or just your own tutorials on tech skills you wanted to share, and your communication skills carry over into the way you engage with teammates
- Self-directed learner—you can pick up tech skills with minimum support and have a curiosity about learning development workflows and practices
- Experience using and documenting SaaS products.
- Distributed team member—you’re comfortable working within a diverse global team in multiple time zones
- Nice skills to have include experience with the Docs as Code/Docs like Code approach to documentation, writing Markdown-based content, working in an Agile environment, and using source control systems, especially Git.
- Lots of smiles
At Postman, we create with the same curiosity that we see in our users. We value transparency & honest communication about not only successes, but also failures. In our work, we focus on specific goals that add up to a larger vision. Our inclusive work culture ensures that everyone is valued equally as important pieces of our final product. We are dedicated to delivering the best products we can.
This role is based in San Francisco and the reasonably estimated salary for this role ranges from $119,021 to $161,028, plus a competitive equity package. Actual compensation is based on the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition to our pay-on-performance philosophy, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including full medical coverage, flexible PTO, wellness reimbursement, potential spot awards, and a monthly lunch stipend. Salaries will vary outside of San Francisco and the U.S.
At Postman, diversity means we implement informed policies & practices to grow a company that reflects global experiences & identities while treating each person with fairness & dignity. Inclusion is the choice we make each day & with every interaction, to foster a workplace & world where people of all backgrounds not only belong but excel. We understand that together, we succeed better.
Postman is unapologetically committed to Equal Opportunity Employment. We proudly offer equal employment opportunities to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, & more. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodations through the hiring process, please let us know early by emailing us: firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to give you every opportunity to show us the star that you are. Join us, why dontcha?
PS: Here's a timeline of Postman’s journey in becoming an API Platform.