Who Are We?
Postman is the world’s leading API development platform. Our app simplifies each step of the API building process and streamlines collaboration. More than 20 million developers and 500,000 organizations worldwide currently use Postman. We recently raised our Series-D at a $5.6 billion valuation.
Postman’s User Research team performs research to understand our audience’s needs, motivations, and challenges. As Manager of User Research, you’ll lead a small and growing team of researchers who strive to continually understand our potential audience needs and convey findings and insights throughout Postman.
Sharing these insights helps Postman teams create connected, customer-centric products and services. You’ll help build this practice by mentoring a team and conducting interviews, surveys, polls, and additional research methods. You’ll set quarterly research plans and identify opportunities to share research that provides insights into our largest questions as a rapidly growing organization. You’ll incorporate and grow a practice of industry research and competitive intel to fully investigate Postman’s opportunity space and educate the Postman team through reports and insights.
Working with Strategy, the User Research team helps define Postman’s personas, journey maps, and other key strategic deliverables by providing solid data, and sources for the company’s understanding of our audience. The team’s deliverables contribute to our ongoing drive to build the best products and services for those who work with data and create data solutions in every level of technical skill.
How We Operate.
Since we are a globally distributed team, we measure outcomes, not hours. We operate from a deep sense of our values, and strive to build the best products for the entire developer community.
What You'll Do.
- Build, manage, and grow a team of User Researchers
- Collaborate with the Strategy team to provide insights and data behind personas, journeys, and other strategic deliverables
- Define and manage processes for multiple research methods, including interviews and surveys
- Incorporate service design approaches and practices
- Monitor social channels, industry and technology sites, podcasts, and other channels to understand trending conversations, and needs of the Postman community
- Identify existing reports and industry research to understand larger trends, innovation and opportunities
- Lead periodic competitive intel efforts
- Evaluate and engage with research vendors for industry intel and custom reports
- Develop an understanding of developer community tools to enable better conversations and information gathering
- Organize and maintain research findings and reports to share with internal audiences
- Design and perform research studies that contribute to competitive intelligence, persona development, journey mapping and product roadmap initiatives
- Gain and maintain a general understanding of APIs and API technology to facilitate conversations with technical interviewees and know when and how to extend the conversation
- Help the Postman organization understand what users value most to succeed in their roles
- Socialize research as a practice throughout the company
- Be a driving force in keeping Postman customer-centric
- 6+ years experience with multiple research methods including interviews, surveys, diary studies, shadowing and more
- 3+ years team management experience or project leadership
- Excellent mentoring and coaching skills
- Strong people management skills
- Ability to comfortably converse with a highly technical audience, even if not an expert at the technology
- High level of curiosity and motivation and ability to identify research needs of highest impact for Postman
- A high degree of self-management and ability to plan and deliver a research roadmap
- Excellent documentation and communication skills to share research reports and insights
We offer a competitive salary and benefits, and a flexible schedule working with a fun, collaborative team. Enjoy full medical coverage, unlimited PTO, and a monthly lunch stipend. (Yes, seriously. We want you to eat well wherever you’re at.) Plus, our wellness program will help you stay healthy from your location with fitness-related reimbursements. Our frequent and fascinating virtual team-building events will keep you connected, while our donation-matching program can support the causes you care about. We’re building a long-term company with an inclusive culture where everyone can be the best version of themselves, and we want you to be part of it. Join us, why dontcha?