Who Are We?
Postman is the world's leading collaboration platform for API development. Postman's features simplify each step of building an API & streamline collaboration to help create better APIs—faster. More than 23 million developers & 500,000 organizations worldwide use Postman today. After receiving Series D funding in 2021 & releasing our biggest & best version ever of Postman in September 2022, we continue to strive humbly towards our mission of 100 million connected developers & serving companies as they seek to innovate in an API-first world.
We highly recommend reading The "API-First World" graphic novel to understand the bigger picture & our vision at Postman.
About the Team
Now that 98% of Fortune 500 Companies use Postman at some level, we are set to expand our Enterprise presence exponentially over the coming year. To help us scale, we are looking to add a Senior Commercial Counsel to the Legal Team who can work in a fast-paced, rapidly growing startup, to structure, draft, negotiate, and review complex customer contracts. The Senior Commercial Counsel will independently negotiate and close contracts tied to six and seven figure deals with Fortune 500 caliber customers.
What You’ll Do
- Review and negotiate a variety of complex commercial agreements, focusing on high value, Enterprise SaaS agreements
- Work cross-functionally to identify business risks associated with commercial terms and propose mitigation strategies
- Assist in developing playbooks, processes and policies associated with Postman’s contracting activities
- Assist in maintaining and improving existing contract templates
- Take ownership of the pipeline and backlog of contracts to ensure they are delivered within target SLAs
- Meet regularly with Sales leadership to review and revise priorities
- Plan for and manage Legal team bandwidth to ensure we have capacity to deliver during peak demand periods around end-of-quarter/year and other internal/external deadlines.
- Work with the Postman internal teams, including Security, Finance and RevOps to ensure deals comply with our Deal Desk and other internal guidelines
- Supervise and review the work of junior counsel and outside counsel to ensure it meets Postman’s standards and policies.
- Juris Doctor degree with a license to practice law in any U.S. jurisdiction.
- 7+ years of in-house experience at a technology company, ideally in a product led growth start-up environment
- Experience with SaaS commercial transactions, including applicable regulatory and privacy laws
- Experience negotiating and closing deals with Enterprise customers
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain relationships
- Exception written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a cross-functional team
- Experience mentoring and providing guidance and oversight to other team members.
- Experience supporting a $150M ARR+ Enterprise SaaS business from a commercial contracts perspective
At Postman, we create with the same curiosity that we see in our users. We value transparency & honest communication about not only successes, but also failures. In our work, we focus on specific goals that add up to a larger vision. Our inclusive work culture ensures that everyone is valued equally as important pieces of our final product. We are dedicated to delivering the best products we can.
This role is based in either the San Francisco, New York, or Boston hubs & the reasonably estimated salary for this role ranges from $164,468 to $193,492, plus a competitive equity package. Actual compensation is based on the candidate's skills, qualifications, & experience. In addition to our pay-on-performance philosophy, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including full medical coverage, flexible PTO, wellness reimbursement, potential spot awards, & a monthly lunch stipend. Salaries will vary outside of the San Francisco Bay Area & the U.S.
At Postman, diversity means we implement informed policies & practices to grow a company that reflects global experiences & identities while treating each person with fairness & dignity. Inclusion is the choice we make each day & with every interaction, to foster a workplace & world where people of all backgrounds not only belong but excel. We understand that together, we succeed better.
Postman is unapologetically committed to Equal Opportunity Employment. We proudly offer equal employment opportunities to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, & more. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodations through the hiring process, please let us know early by emailing us: firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to give you every opportunity to show us the star that you are. Join us, why dontcha?