Who Are We?
Postman is the world’s leading API platform, used by more than 30 million developers and 500,000 organizations, including 98% of the Fortune 500. Postman is helping developers and professionals across the globe build the API-first world by simplifying each step of the API lifecycle and streamlining collaboration—enabling users to create better APIs, faster.
The company is headquartered in San Francisco and has an office in Bangalore, where it was founded. Postman is privately held, with funding from Battery Ventures, BOND, Coatue, CRV, Insight Partners, and Nexus Venture Partners. Learn more at postman.com or connect with Postman on Twitter via @getpostman.
P.S: We highly recommend reading The "API-First World" graphic novel to understand the bigger picture and our vision at Postman.
Would you like to write technical documentation that helps people use Postman to design, build, and test API projects? We are currently looking to expand our docs team with a senior tech writer who can learn API skills and synthesize that understanding into resources that help our incredible community succeed with Postman. Check out the Learning Center and our GitHub to see the kind of content you’ll be working on.
This is a hybrid position based in San Francisco
What You’ll Do:
- Own the docs for your dedicated feature set—you’ll be responsible for documenting a specific area of the Postman product and will drive all docs efforts around it
- Plan documentation in conjunction with product release cycles—you’ll work with engineers and product managers to learn about a feature from specifications, user research, and most importantly through your own hands-on experimentation with the product
- Carry out editorial reviews on your docs teammates’ drafts—you’ll be providing constructive feedback that helps your colleagues to grow, as well as receiving it
- Deliver high-quality, accurate documentation that acts as an effective learning resource, aligns with content strategy guidelines, and represents the Postman product to community and customers
- Liaise with stakeholders across the company to establish and address docs needs
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree plus 5+ years of technical writing or related field experience
- Problem solver—you take a broad view of the role your docs work plays within the organization and are comfortable with shifting priorities
- User empathy—maybe you’ve been involved in tech support, in a community or customer facing role, you’ve helped people learn tech skills, or you’ve sought user feedback on docs in the past
- Strong communicator—you’ve written technical material before, whether official documentation or just your own tutorials on tech skills you wanted to share, and your communication skills carry over into the way you engage with teammates
- Self-directed learner—you can pick up tech skills with minimum support and have a curiosity about learning development workflows and practices
- Experience using and documenting SaaS products.
- Distributed team member—you’re comfortable working within a diverse global team in multiple time zones
- Nice skills to have include experience with the Docs as Code/Docs like Code approach to documentation, writing Markdown-based content, working in an Agile environment, and using source control systems, especially Git.
At Postman, we create with the same curiosity that we see in our users. We value transparency & honest communication about not only successes, but also failures. In our work, we focus on specific goals that add up to a larger vision. Our inclusive work culture ensures that everyone is valued equally as important pieces of our final product. We are dedicated to delivering the best products we can.
This role is based in the greater San Francisco Bay area, and the reasonably estimated salary for this role ranges from $100,130.00 to $135,470.00, plus a competitive equity package. Actual compensation is based on the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition to our pay-on-performance philosophy, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including full medical coverage, flexible PTO, wellness reimbursement, and a monthly lunch stipend. Salaries will vary outside of the listed metropolitan areas & the U.S.
Postman is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Postman does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Postman will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Postman.